Ho, Ho, Ho....
Its pretty amazing to me that each time we have an event, our palettes change however slightly. The commentary among us at the great Rizzut-oban's abode clearly noted that former Top Scotches might not have won if they were in the running today against some full bodied Islay malt or an obscure (yet, not necessarily aged) spirit. Much like a contest of the great former athletes against today's beasts. (It should be noted though that many of our brethern continue to order old top scotches at our local whisky holes).
This tasting exhibited some true lovelies and, special thanks to Mr. Rizzuto go out from all of us: Springbank 15, Caol Ila 18, and GlenFarclas 105. The winner, again unsurprisingly to my dismay, was the GlenFarclas. I will agree that this full bodied and heavy spirit exhibited a true golden color, a fresh yet bold taste, and captured the interest of all at the table. However, when I tasted the Caol Ila 18, I had that feeling when I tasted the Bowmore 18 (a sister Islay malt). I said to myself and the crew, this was one of the best scotches I had ever tasted. Surprisingly I had searched for additional GlenFarclas 105 notes, and one of my trusted resources noted the 105 as one of the "worst scotches of all time." I guess it can be challenged that our palettes are sophisticated!!
Springbank, a Campbeltown malt, was truly interesting as well and should not go without recognition. As such, I am adopting a new term for our club in the event that three of three (or all) of the evening's scotches are deemed "highly respected" by the membership. The event shall be designated a "Purist's Pouring," meaning that each of the scotches tasted that evening per the event are deserved of special recognition. This must be unanimous. Compare, for example, a Dalmore 25, which we would agree was disappointing. This was a Purist's Pouring given that Speyside, Campbeltown and Islay were offered and they each were debated heavily as potential winners and enjoyed by each. Id aver that, absent the term, we have had similar conclusions of prior tastings.
These notes lack further specificity for many reasons, including, without limitation: (i) I was too drunk (given that we started at 5pm) and left my tasting notes, as per Rizzutoban, at his house after bitching at him to print them, and (ii) its been some time since I sat down to write this.
Thus, I resolve in the new year to write more quickly, drink more swiftly, and cherish more deeply, and each time with you fine gentlemen.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2010, and always very truly yours,
Austin "Glen" Lilling
P.S. I want to note for the record Mr. Perri's anxiousness and excitement over his January 8th tasting. Details to come.
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment